Wednesday, April 16, 2008

EXCELLENCE IN BROADCASTING


Had an interesting chat this evening with an old friend that I had not seen in a long time. She is a Public Accountant. Not Certified. Has to work for a guy who has his certification to work at her level. This features heavily in her talk about "how's it goin'". Oh well.


When I inquired as to her thoughts about the upcoming election, she startled me with a diatribe about how Hillary is a bitch and Obama is not a patriot.


She hates McCain, but the other two will ruin America!


When pressed for an explanation, she said, "Hillary is a bitch!" and "Obama didn't place his hand over his heart for the Pledge."


I tried to set her straight, calmly, but was blown away by assertions that "I heard it from Rush and Shawn" and therefore it must be true.


Wow! This is a gal I like. She knows hard times and usually can be counted on to know the score. Her visceral response was surprising.


We went over the issues, one by one, and she was progressively inclined on nearly every one.


But she just couldn"t see either a woman or a "colored guy" in the top job.


"What would other countries think! Women or Negroes!"


Nobody would call Marget Thatcher or Golda Meier pussies, I said


"That's different... We're America!"


I kept after her for quite awhile.


"Obama is too black"


What!


"Well, he should be blacker..."


What!?


"Bill cheated!"


So did both of your husbands!


"McCain will keep us safer."


How?


"I don't know, he just will, he's a patriot."


You seem bitter.


"I'm not bitter, I just seem to work all the time, I'm so tired."



Are you better off now than 2001?


"We're fine, but I need to get Jonah enrolled in Medi-Cal and get him some help to keep him in school."


What's wrong with Jonah?


"Environmental exposure to chemicals has left him with ADD."


What are the symptoms?


"Well, he just sits in the basement all the time, playing video games, eating Cheetoes, drinking Mountain Dew, and yelling about Liberals."


He's only twelve!


"Yes, we're bothered too, but he has an offer from someplace called 'Excellence in Broadcasting' for $1200 a week and in this economy we really need the money!"


No comments: